[Bldg-sim] thermal loads in factories?

Varkie C Thomas thomasv at iit.edu
Mon Dec 7 08:34:34 PST 2009

My limited experience in this field is that factory production areas use spot cooling with fan coil units directed at the worker�s station only.  Worker productivity matters.  Ducted exhaust registers could be next to each heat generating machine.  There might be ventilation standards depending on pollutants from the industrial process.  It is not realistic or practical to offset the large heat gains from machinery with refrigeration.  In areas with cold winters the whole factory must be maintained above freezing temperatures to prevent broken pipes.

Factory processes (industrial buildings) vary considerably and a standard for all industrial buildings is not practical.  It is in the interest of the factory to be as efficient as possible in all aspects because they are competing with other factories manufacturing the same product.  This is not the case with residential and commercial buildings and so they need energy usage standards.  For such buildings, equipment loads have to be the same for baseline and proposed.  The greater the equipment loads, the smaller the percentage energy savings for LEED credit.  Meeting codes and standards is not affected by percentages.  Credit is earned for reusing equipment heat gains to save energy with other heating tasks.