[Bldg-sim] District Thermal Energy Cost in LEED

Kris Raj kris_raj at rocketmail.com
Mon Dec 14 19:01:35 PST 2009

Friends,

We have a central plant serving an existing building and an renovated building
in Washington, DC . We are applying for LEED-NC for the
renovated building. We are required to follow the “Required treatment of
District thermal energy in LEED-NC version 2.2” method for our EAc1
credits.
                 Does anyone have an advice on what utility rates can be used for
chilled/hot water. Although we have a source for district steam rates I am not able find chilled water rates.  The eia.doe.gov site does not seem to provide the rates either.. Also, I am not sure if
we are justified in using commercial rates which can be significantly
higher as they include delivery and service charges.. The rates used can have a significant impact on the total savings as they determine
the proportion of electricity and chilled/hot water costs.

thanks for your responses,
raj