[Bldg-sim] Spam:Re: Process Loads?

James Hess JHess at tmecorp.com
Wed Feb 4 19:11:08 PST 2009

FYI ... our take on this issue is to document the inputs that make up the
misc equipment.  In many cases, we find that misc equipment, or "process
loads" come nowhere close to 25% of total costs.

For example, we are currently working on a library LEED project.  We have
very good estimates for the number of computers going into the facility, and
have estimates for students with notebook computers, printer/copiers,
breakroom equipment (refrigerator, coffee pot, etc.), etc.  You can get
energy estimates for all that stuff from EnergyStar's website (they have lots
of good data), or take your own measurements of equipment over time like I
have ( using simple inexpensive equipment such as the "KillaWatt" plug in
120V plug load measurement device).

Anyway, we document it and add all that up à comes to ~ 0.3 watts/SF, add a
schedule into our energy simulation program, and we come nowhere close to 25%
of total energy costs.

What would we do at that point?  We have good wattage inputs based on sound
and reasonable data.  For example, a typical desktop computer will use ~ 65
watts on average.  A 22" flat panel LCD monitor will use ~ 45 watts.  So, do
you throw all those numbers out and arbitrarily increase the "watts/SF"
values until process loads = 25%?

Our interpretation is no.

Based on the following from LEED NC 2.2

We interpret this as we can use less than 25% as long as we document, so we
document.  We document our assumptions for process loads anyway so if it
comes out less, we're covered.

We did have a project that was a flight simulator building for the US Air
Force.  The simulator equipment used a ton of energy à energy costs > 75% of
total building energy costs.  That blew the LEED savings out of the water.
Even if you assign the same load to the baseline, mathematically it's very
difficult to achieve overall building energy savings of  14% if 75% of energy
à you can't do anything about.  J.  In fact, we could not.

Just some food for thought on how we approach this area.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

James

James A.  Hess, PE, CEM