[Bldg-sim] City Climate Model

Larry Degelman ldegelman at suddenlink.net
Fri Feb 13 09:00:23 PST 2009

Hello Mohamad,

The ASHRAE "Climatic Information" committee is currently attempting to
convince ASHRAE to initiate a research project on developing mesoscale
climate models.  The fruition of this is probably still in the distant
future.  In the meantime, you may be interested in several of these
references that relate to this topic.

1.	METEONORM, Global Meteorological Database for Engineers, Planners and
Education, www.meteonrom.com
2.	Deng, A., D.R. Stauffer, and G.K. Hunter, 2007: "A comparison of
high-resolution mesoscale forecasts using MM5 and WRF-ARW", Proc. 22nd Conf
on Weather Analysis and Forecasting/18th Conf. on Numerical. Weather
Prediction., Park City, UT.
3.	Tewari, M., F. Chen, T.T. Warner, W.J. Coirier, and S. Kim, 2005:
"Numerical modeling study of wind flow for the Salt Lake City region using
the integrated WRF-Noah-UCM model at meso-gamma scale", Proc. 6th WRF User's
Workshop, Boulder, CO.
4.	Erell, Evyatar and Terry Williamson, 2006: "A Computer Model for
Predicting Air Temperature in Urban Street Canyons from Measured Data at a
Standard Weather Station", ASHRAE Annual Meeting, Quebec City, June 24-28.
5.	Erell, E. and T. Williamson, 2006: "Simulating Air Temperature in an
Urban Street Canyon in all Weather Conditions Using Measured Data at a
Reference Meteorological Station", International Journal of Climatology.
6.	Guilyardi E, R. Budich, G. Komen, and G. Brasseur, 2003: PRISM System
Specification Handbook, Version 1. PRISM Report series No. 1, 230p.
(Partnership for Research Infrastructures in earth System Modeling,
http://www.prism.enes.org/Publications/Papers/PRISM_sustained_support.pdf)
7.	Malkin, Stuart 2008: "High-Resolution Weather Analyses for Net Zero
Building Design", Seminar 78, Weather Data for Computer Simulation: More
Accurate Tools for a Climate Change World, ASHRAE Winter Meeting, New York
City, January.
8.	Whitlock, Charles H., William S. Chandler, James M. Hoell, David J.
Westberg, Taiping Zhang and Shashi Gupta, 2007:  "Status of NASA
Buildings-Related Climate Parameters for the Globe, A Special Report for the
ASHRAE Technical Committee 4.2 on Climatic Information", ASHRAE 2007 Winter
Meeting Dallas, Texas, January 27-31.
9.	GFDL 2004, "Climate Impact of Quadrupling Atmospheric CO2 - An Overview
of GFDL Climate Model Results"; Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory,
Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, 7 May.  (Web site at:
http://www.gfdl.gov/~tk/climate_dynamics/climate_impact_webpage.html )
10.	Hendler, Albert, 1992: "RP-606, Determination of Climate Variations
within Metropolitan Areas", ASHRAE Research Report D-RP-606, Atlanta, GA.

Best regards,
Larry O. Degelman, P.E.   ldegelman at suddenlink.net
Professor Emeritus of Architecture
Texas A&M University
Current chair, ASHRAE TC-4.2, Climatic Information.