[Bldg-sim] Spam:Re: EPact 2005 tax savings

James Hess JHess at tmecorp.com
Wed Feb 25 21:41:40 PST 2009

This is a good discussion.

Just a question, if eQuest is DOE 2.1E (which has been accepted) but
with bug fixes and enhancements, why wouldn't it already be accepted,
or acceptable? What documentation needs to be submitted?  I'm not
understanding this discussion I guess. Are we not splitting hairs?

Another area I don't understand is why anybody is still using DOE2.1E,
if DOE2.2 corrected many known errors present in DOE2.1E???

Maybe part of the reason eQuest is not being submitted/approved/
upgraded is lack of funding. I have never understood why the eQuest
program is strictly tied to receiving funding only from the California
energy commission.

Like Ellen said, eQuest is one of the most widely used energy analysis
programs in the US. We use it because it works for the production
environment we work in (which does not allow for runtimes of hours).
It's fast, very capable, accurate, & enables us to generate acceptable
results for 99% of our projects while staying within our cost budgets.
Whatever we can't do in eQuest, we can generally do with Excel
supplementing.

That said, the program could use some upgrades.  I'm guessing that
there are users out here like myself that would gladly pay a general
users fee if it meant getting upgrades to the program.  Upgrades that
are relevant to the user base and delivered in a more timely fashion.
I'm saying I don't understand why the funding has to come only from
California Energy Cx. Not saying that the CEC funding isn't
appreciated, but that alternative funding by the general users at
large could allow more features to be integrated into the program.
Currently, the features that get upgraded into the program are
determined by the CEC and their limited funding. This is why important
features such as exhaust air energy recovery for dedicated outdoor air
systems are missing.

Appreciate any follow up thoughts by anybody.

Regards,

James Hess
TME
Little Rock, AR