[Bldg-sim] [BLDG-SIM] EnergyPlus on multi-cpu systems

Alex Chapin alexc at 2rw.com
Wed Jan 7 13:51:44 PST 2009

Does anyone have recommendations on computer performance specs for reducing the run times?  When large models are run, the lengthy run time creates an annoyance when trying to debug issues in the model or perform parametric runs.

My idea was to create a modeling server from a decked out PC.  The hope being that I will be able to have other non-modeling programs running on my computer and perform the energy simulation remotely on the modeling server.  What combination of processor, RAM, Motherboard, video card, etc. would be ideal in creating a modeling server?  Could this modeling server be set up to run more than one eQUEST or EnergyPlus type simulation at a time?

My personal computer currently has a dual core processor, but I saw an email that said programs like EnergyPlus and eQUEST will only use one of the two cores.  Is there any program which can use both?  If not, would getting a higher performing single core processor be better?

Any advice on this topic would be much appreciated,

Alex Chapin, E.I.T., LEED AP
Energy Engineer
2rw Consultants
T: 434-296-2116 ext. 101