[Bldg-sim] LEED EaC1

Mark Nieman MARKN at McKinstry.com
Tue Jan 27 09:19:39 PST 2009

I would agree that a Washington State Energy Code Minimum building will
not likely get you a point in NC 2.2 EA Cr 1. I've seen savings in the
5-10% range for office buildings with similar system types and
conventional lighting densities and controls. I believe EA Cr 1
(correctly) encourages more innovation than just a simple HVAC system
selection over another that meets code minimum. You really need an
integrated design approach to achieve EA Cr 1 (envelope upgrades,
lighting upgrades including controls, HVAC upgrades, etc.).

Mark Nieman, PE, CEM | McKinstry | Sr. Energy Engineer
d 206.832.8152 | m 206.510.4760 | f 206.832.8552
FOR THE LIFE OF YOUR BUILDING

________________________________

From: bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org
[mailto:bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org] On Behalf Of Tim Dion
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:47 AM
To: 'bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org'
Subject: [Bldg-sim] LEED EaC1

I've been hearing from a number of sources that you can get 2 EaC1 LEED
points under NC 2.2 just by modeling a State Code Building against an
ASHRAE Appendix G Baseline building.

This has not been the case with any of the LEED simulations I've done
with eQuest. Typically a Washington Energy Code 2006 building against an
ASHRAE Appendix G building comes in with an energy cost reduction of
about 5%, which doesn't achieve 1 point. This is typically with a Design
system consisting of WSHPs served by a central condenser water plant
with dual condensing boilers and a fluid cooler vs a Baseline system
consisting of PSZ DX Cooling, Gas Furnace Heat.

I'm curious what others have experienced in this regards.

Tim Dion, LEED(r) AP
Mechanical
HARGIS ENGINEERS
600 Stewart Street
Suite 1000
Seattle, WA 98101
www.hargis.biz <http://www.hargis.biz/>

This email is the property of McKinstry or one of its affiliates and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.
Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.