[Bldg-sim] high CWLT chiller performance curves

Peter Simmonds peter.simmonds at ibece.net
Fri Jan 9 07:28:10 PST 2009

Martin, let me try and understand your question a little better.

For different evaporator leaving temperatures you could simply contact
the manufacturers or as many have simply map the chiller as a
traditional Carnot cycle and deduce the efficiency from the
calculations.

I wrote a paper in 93 which is published in ASHRAE transactions dealing
with chilled beams and chiller efficiencies associated with running
chillers at say 13C-15C.

The only problem in the real world is that we often require at least 6C
for air handling units and to have a dedicated chiller for chilled
ceilings is a little extravagant. We usually run the chillers at 6C, but
at variable speed with of course variable evaporator flow. Bungane
Melamakulu and I wrote a paper on chiller efficiency for the IBPSA
conference in Colorado.

I do not wish this reply to seem as many replies that we have done this
before, but does this answer you question?

Peter Simmonds Ph.D.
Senior Associate, Advanced Technology Group

IBE Consulting Engineers
14130 Riverside Drive Suite 201
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
p:   (818) 377-8220 ext. 246
f:    (818) 377-8230
m:  (818) 219-1284

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message