[Bldg-sim] Appendix G Fan Power

Michael Tillou michael.tillou at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 14:51:36 PDT 2009

The Fan Power Allowance in ASHRAE 90.1 is based on "good" engineering
practice.  I have attached a .pdf showing the System Pressure Drops used in
determining the allowances for both the VAV fan system and the CV fan
system.  The fan efficiency assumed in both cases is 65% and air velocity is
assumed to be 400 fpm through the coils and filters.  Filter pressure drop
assumes dirty filters.  The standard allows additional credits for systems
with heat recovery, high performance filtration, lower design supply air
temperatures and the use of relief fans vs return fans.

Also, addendum ac of ASHRAE 90.1-2004 modified the fan power calculation
methodology allowing an expanded list of allowances that better suits a
wider range of building types including hospitals and lab buildings.  Those
changes are incorporated into Standard 90.1-2007.

I think that Michael Williamson gave the best reason yet why it is important
to split the baseline fan power among the supply, return and exhaust fan
components.  Like many others I distribute baseline fan hp using the same
ratios as the proposed design even though the baseline system configurations
may be slightly different.

Finally, three cheers to GBCI for putting review teams together that will
actually do a decent job of ensuring compliance with Standard 90.1 rather
than just taking the design teams word for it.  Maybe folks will begin to
realize that exceeding 90.1-2004 by 20-30% is actually a challenge and
building designs will begin to reflect the changes necessary to meet that
challenge.

Regards,

Mike

Michael Tillou, PE