[Bldg-sim] Hourly Solar Hot Water modeling program

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Wed Jul 29 08:15:14 PDT 2009

<Is anyone aware of a program that can model hourly outputs for a solar
hot water system?  I would prefer something that can accept a TMY2 or TMY3
weather file and just gives me the hourly heat output based on SHW panel,
inlet and outlet temperatures, angle and azumith.  I'll handle the load
side, including thermal storage, etc.>

In my opinion, TRNSYS is probably the best program to handle your stated
solar domestic hot water simulation needs - at timesteps of an hour all
the way down below a second if you need that type of resolution.  But it
can also do the entire balance of system (thermal storage, controls,
interaction with the building, etc.). However, it's a bit on the pricey
side if you're only going to be using it for one project.

Give us a call if you'd like to discuss your project.  We do a lot of
solar thermal projects and could help answer some of your modeling
questions.  Good luck with your project.

Jeff

Jeff Thornton
President - TESS, LLC

22 North Carroll Street - Suite 370