[Bldg-sim] How can we generate a new typical year

Larry Degelman ldegelman at suddenlink.net
Wed Jul 8 07:30:17 PDT 2009

Hello Mohamad,

I'm assuming that item 1 in your inquiry refers to generation of files equal
to the well-known typical meteorological years (TMYs.)  A TMY cannot be
generated from a single year of hourly data -- TMYs are created by selecting
"typical months" of weather data from recorded hourly data from anywhere
from 15 to 30 years of records.  The methodology is described in references
shown in the TMY users manual, NCDC (1981). Typical Meteorological Year
User's Manual. Asheville, NC: National Climatic Data Center.  (See
http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/pubs/tmy2/)

Some analyses that relate to the validity of the TMY data can be found in
several reports dating from back in the late 1970's:
Hall, I.; Prairie, R.; Anderson, H.; Boes, E. (1978). Generation of Typical
Meteorological Years for 26 SOLMET Stations. SAND78-1601. Albuquerque, NM:
Sandia National Laboratories.
Menicucci, D.; Fernandez, J. (1988). A Comparison of Typical Year Solar
Radiation Information with the SOLMET Data Base. SAND87-2379. Albuquerque,
NM: Sandia National Laboratories.
Crawley, D.B. 1998. Which weather data should you use for energy simulations
of commercial buildings? ASHRAE Transactions 104(2):498-515.
Huang, J. 1998. The impact of different weather data on simulated
residential heating and cooling loads. ASHRAE Transactions 104(2):516-527.

More recently (2008-2009), ASHRAE has contracted for generation of 2500 to
3000 additional cities (mostly in China) in a research project under the
direction of TC-4.2 (Climatic Information).  Dr. Joe Huang (joe at drawbdl.com)
is the prime contractor on that project.

In regard to item 2, there is some discussion related to climate change
considerations on page 14.13 in the new Climatic Design Information Chapter
(Chap 14) of the 2009 ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals.  The chapter
addresses mostly design conditions and not generation of typical year
weather data.

Regards,

LOD
Larry O. Degelman, P.E. , HBDP