[Bldg-sim] LEED modeling and zone adjacencies...

James V. Dirkes II, PE jvd2pe at tds.net
Mon Jul 27 10:45:44 PDT 2009

I vote:  Assume all spaces are the same setpoint and temp for a LEED
analysis unless there will be actual, significant differences in the real
building

a) The simulation tool is assuming that the HVAC is trying to do exactly
that
b) Your weather file is an approximation (TMY)
c) You have no idea what the actual thermostats will be set for
d) the simulation will not model the actual control system response
e) LEED has accepted our models with that assumption, which I think is
appropriate based on the above reasons and a variety of others.  There's
only so much you can expect from a model of a yet-to-be-constructed
facility!

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW