[Bldg-sim] LEED EAcr1 and ice storage?

Julia Beabout juliabeabout at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 9 14:08:33 PDT 2009

Hi All,
Has anyone successfully submitted an energy model to LEED for NC, EAcr1 compliance that utilized an ice storage system for cooling?

I'm just curious if they considered this a valid way to meet EAcr1 since even though these systems save money (which is the basis for EAcr 1 compliance), they frequently use the same or even more energy than a standard chiller plant/system design.  In other words, in principle, if your proposed building uses the same or more energy than your baseline, but shows a $ savings relative to the baseline, is that still valid.

We're considering looking at ice storage for a LEED project I'm working on.  But, before we run down that route, I'm trying to determine if LEED considers it an acceptable way to meet EAcr1 and if anyone has been successfully awarded LEED certification with it.  I tried searching the CIRs, but the LEED search engine didn't return any matches.  There was a little traffic on Bldg-sim on it, but that was pretty old (2005).  I also sent LEED customer service the questions along with a brief description of ice storage and the not-so-green as well as green aspects of it.  But, it was obvious by their reply that they had no idea what I was talking about?!?!?

Any experience you all have regarding ice storage and successful LEED submittals would be great.
Thanks.
Julia