[Bldg-sim] Infiltration

Tim Johnson timj at ctagroup.com
Tue Jun 9 14:52:05 PDT 2009

I have the task of evaluating the benefits of continuous insulation compared to insulated wall cavities.  The idea behind the continuous insulation is partly that it will make a tighter building and not allow as much infiltration.  I realize that continuous insulation eliminates the thermal break in the wall and I am able to quantify that, but I do not know of a good way to quantify the difference in infiltration.  Does anyone know of studies that have been done on building infiltration?  What values do you normally use for new construction in your energy modeling?

Thanks,

Tim Johnson, EIT, LEED AP
P: (208)577-5645
F: (208)343-3531