[Bldg-sim] U-values for older buildings

Al Zeller azeller at capitolmechanical.com
Mon Jun 15 14:03:59 PDT 2009

Hi to all,

When doing load calcs, manually or with a variety of programs, it
seems the referenced materials or assemblies are for the newer types
of construction.

Has anyone come across a good reference for buildings that were built
in the 1930's to 1970's.

I have questions on a stucco coated wall with an inch of R-5 material
outside of 12" of poured concrete with a furred 1/2" gypsum wall on
the inside. I'm glad the material is on the outside of the concrete;
I'm looking for advice on how to figure thermal benefit of the large
thermal mass, when resizing the replacement system.

A second wall construction is 4" facebrick, 8" hollow core masonry
block, with 1" painted plaster interior.

Any ideas on a viable U-value?

Alan R. Zeller
Project Manager
Capitol Mechanical, Inc.