[Bldg-sim] Any clues? -- Ceiling Fans in South East Asia

Vishnuraj Nair vishnu at kalpakrit.com
Fri Jun 26 02:28:31 PDT 2009

Thanks Cramer, Leonard, Peter and all for your valuable time.

I am replying on behalf of Neeraj.He will follow it up once he is back in
town.

ASHARE 55 does give a bit of information about the thermal comfort in
section 5.2.3.

However the section says that the elevated speed can be used to offset the
temperature by not more than 30 C (5.40 F).

The air speed considered here is however in the range of 0.8 m/s to 1m/s.
However the ceiling fans designed in here in India

gives an air speed of about 2m/s for which the temperature that could be
offset can be more.

No specific relation as such is given as to determine the temperature that
can be offset for higher air speeds.I have referred the

Thermal Comfort chapter of the ASHRAE Fundamentals handbook,however no
particular specifics is given as to relation between the

Air speed felt on the skin and the temperature that can be offset due to it.
Definitely the personal comfort level also varies with person to person.

If anyone knows about any other standard or reference manual giving
information on this matter or can throw more light on this it

will be greatly appreciated.

Meanwhile I have written to Mr. Dick Ainsley of Big Ass Fans as suggested by
Peter. If he replies I will let you all know his response.

Thanks a lot again.

Regards.

Vishnuraj Nair

Kalpakrit Sustainable Environments Pvt. Ltd.

New Delhi

Tel: +91.124.4309490-92 Ext: 312 , Fax: +91.124.4309493

E-mail :  <mailto:vishnu at kalpakrit.com> vishnu at kalpakrit.com

Disclaimer: The information contained in this message is confidential and
may be legally privileged. The message is intended solely for the
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any use, dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may
be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. The
views expressed in this e-mail message (including any attachments) are those
of the individual sender except where the sender expressly, and with
authority, states them to be the views of Kalpakrit or its group companies
and the same shall be subject to the terms and conditions in governing
contract in writing, if any. Kalpakrit or its group companies have all
authority to check all emails being exchanged using the above address.

* Please consider the environment before printing this email.

  _____