[Bldg-sim] Modelling chillers at non-standard operatingconditions as per Appendix G

Matutinovic, Luka LMatutinovic at halsall.com
Thu Jun 4 11:09:14 PDT 2009

Paul,

Please correct me if I'm wrong since I'm fairly confused by this, but App G specifies a project-independent set of conditions for chilled water systems.  Maybe these are not ARI standard as I incorrectly pointed out, but the point is that App G tells me which conditions I must use.  Therefore, if my project-specific conditions are more extreme, the chiller/cooling tower has to work harder, and the efficiency decreases.  This is therefore an unfair comparison between some arbitrary set of conditions for the reference building, and the project-specific ones for the proposed building, similar to using two different weather files.

If anyone disagrees with this, please let me know because I'm quite concerned about this issue which seems like a significant oversight, especially for hot, humid climates.

Thanks,
Luka