[Bldg-sim] Cooling fuel type - ASHRAE 90.1 - 2004

Matutinovic, Luka LMatutinovic at halsall.com
Thu Jun 11 08:49:37 PDT 2009

Does anyone know the rationale behind ASHRAE's change from matching fuel
types in 1999 to only using electric on 2004?

COPs of absorption chillers are typically below 1.0, so even if a
"renewable" fuel such as solar thermal is used (and deducted from the
EAc1 cost), it may be difficult to reduce cooling consumption compared
to electrically operated chillers in the reference building.  Has anyone
been able to get any benefit from using absorption chillers?

It seems that the use of a hypothetical reference building as the
foundation of 90.1 performance comparisons, often favours very typical
HVAC systems.  Perhaps the intent of 90.1 is to increase efficiency of
conventional systems, but using the "reference building" approach as the
basis of LEED and other programs does not often reward innovative HVAC
designs.  A better approach may be to mandate specific energy intensity
targets rather than % improvement over a reference building.

This absorption chiller issue fits nicely into the recent  discussion
regarding the performance of LEED buildings.  One of the recent analyses
of the NBI study found that although Silver/Gold/Platinum LEED building
use less site energy than comparable CBECS buildings, they use the same
amount of source energy, possibly indicating a fuel switch/favouring to
electricity.  The use of absorption chillers would reduce the source
energy and the load on the current electricity grid, which is a double
benefit since new generation capacity often comes from gas and coal
power plants, thus increasing the GHG emissions at the source and
downstream.  However, absorption efficiencies are considerably less, so
that may even things out in the end.

Luka