[Bldg-sim] Bldg-sim Digest, Vol 19, Issue 15

Scott Hackel shackel at ecw.org
Thu Jun 18 12:28:56 PDT 2009

Allison -
Unfortunately I don't yet have experience in modeling VRF systems, but I have some info... At the moment, the EnergyPro package is the only well-established package that the major VRF manufacturers stand behind as robust. Performance curves from current VRF equipment are used in that software.  You'll likely find it more cumbersome than TRACE, but TRACE's VRF system has not really been validated to my knowledge (anyone from CDS, please clarify if I'm mistaken); the VRF reps I've spoken to don't trust it.

eQUEST developer's do plan to introduce VRF in a version in the near future, but I haven't heard any recent updates on the schedule for that.  That doesn't help you now, but look for it for your next project because it'd be easier than EnergyPro in my opinion.

There are also people working on a VRF module for EnergyPlus, but only at the research level.  Someone who's working on EnergyPlus may have more info on that....

Scott Hackel

Energy Engineer
LEED AP

Energy Center of Wisconsin