[Bldg-sim] Bldg-sim Digest, Vol 19, Issue 15

Michael Patterson mmlpatterson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 09:17:47 PDT 2009

All,

     I wanted to clarify Scott Hackel’s comment (from Volume 19, Issue 16)
regarding TRACE’s ability to model VRF systems…

 *Unfortunately I don't yet have experience in modeling VRF systems, but I
have some info... At the moment, the EnergyPro package is the only
well-established package that the major VRF manufacturers stand behind as
robust. Performance curves from current VRF equipment are used in that
software.  You'll likely find it more cumbersome than TRACE, but TRACE's VRF
system has not really been validated to my knowledge (anyone from CDS,
please clarify if I'm mistaken); the VRF reps I've spoken to don't trust it.
*

 Since 2002, TRACE has had the capability to model VRF systems.  Through a
partnership with Daiken, we developed a cooling-only and heat pump model
based on their products at the time.  Due to continued advances in VRF
systems, our original model does not adequately represent these newer
products.  Because of this, we have developed a new model, available upon
request, which is in a more accurate biquadratic form and uses the latest
Daikin manufacturer’s data.  If anyone has any questions, feel free to call
C.D.S. support at 608-787-3926.

 Thanks,

 Mike

*Michael Patterson, LEED® AP*