[Bldg-sim] High hours outside throttling range

Lam, Linda linda.lam at wspfk.com
Wed Mar 4 11:17:04 PST 2009

To All,

I've got a high number of hours outside throttling range for a 27-story building in India (40% of hours).  It is a VAV with electric reheat.  Upon inputting 40,000 cfm per floor (25,000 sf), I get down to about 3% of hours outside throttling range.  However, Trace only calls for about 20,000 cfm per floor.  I double checked all my load inputs across both programs and it seems like occupancy, lights and equipment loads match up.

I noticed that most of my unmet cooling load hours occur in my internal zones.  So I input a system total supply volume of 25,000 cfm per floor and also allocated 16,000 cfm to the internal zones. This decreased the number of hours outside throttling range to about 4%.

My question is, am I allowed to "allocate" cfm to the internal zones like that?

Thanks very much in advance!
Linda

Linda Lam, LEED® AP
WSP Flack + Kurtz