[Bldg-sim] Building Infiltration

Mark Prince mprince at aeieng.com
Tue Mar 10 07:16:48 PDT 2009

Hello,

I'm involved with a project that is considering pursuing LEED certification.  It is a remodel/renovation of an existing office building.

The existing office building has quite a bit of infiltration.  As part of the renovation process, the exterior walls are being sprayed with a foam insulation that will significantly reduce this infiltration.  Someone has asked the question, if we can take credit for this reduction in infiltration.  In other words, they want to model the Appendix G baseline building with the old infiltration rate and model the proposed building with the new infiltration rate.  This will show a good amount of energy cost savings.

Is this acceptable?  I'm having a difficult time finding any reference to infiltration rates within Appendix G.

Thanks,

Mark Prince
Affiliated Engineers
5802 Research Park Blvd.