[Bldg-sim] Building Infiltration

Karen Walkerman kwalkerman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 07:32:55 PDT 2009

There aren't any.  There are a few standards that have infiltration
baselines.  I believe the HERS (Home Energy Rating System) uses an
infiltration baseline of about 0.35-0.4 ACH, and there are some other
standards out there.  Of course, some people will argue that the building
should be positively pressurized so that there will be no infiltration.  I
don't know of anyone that has gotten credit for LEED EA C1 for infiltration,
but in my opinion, this is a huge Appendix G oversight.  My suggestion is to
apply for a CIR and suggest an infiltration baseline.  If the building is
100% renovation, the baseline could be established using a blower door test
on the original building, or you could come up with another reasonable,
established baseline.

--
Karen