[Bldg-sim] Building Infiltration

Todd Lagus TLagus at Sebesta.com
Tue Mar 10 07:44:54 PDT 2009

While I agree that there is oversight in not giving credit to reduce infiltration, I do not feel like LEED credit should be given if there isn't an established baseline.  Say, for example, the building infiltration was exceptionally poor.  Improving the building to even average infiltration performance may have a large effect on the energy model, and LEED points would be given for a building that may or may not deserve it.  While improving the infiltration issue saves energy for the owner, there is no guarantee that the building does not perform poorly.  Maybe there should be a LEED "most improved" award which uses existing conditions as the baseline.

Todd Lagus, EIT
Mechanical Engineer
Sebesta Blomberg
sebesta.com | P  651.634.7236 | F  651.634.7400

This message has been sent via the Internet. Internet communications are not secure against interception or modification. Sebesta Blomberg therefore can not guarantee that this message has not been modified in transit. This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender and destroy your copies of the message and any attached files.

From: bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org [mailto:bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org] On Behalf Of Karen Walkerman
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 9:33 AM
To: Mark Prince
Cc: bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: Re: [Bldg-sim] Building Infiltration

There aren't any.  There are a few standards that have infiltration baselines.  I believe the HERS (Home Energy Rating System) uses an infiltration baseline of about 0.35-0.4 ACH, and there are some other standards out there.  Of course, some people will argue that the building should be positively pressurized so that there will be no infiltration.  I don't know of anyone that has gotten credit for LEED EA C1 for infiltration, but in my opinion, this is a huge Appendix G oversight.  My suggestion is to apply for a CIR and suggest an infiltration baseline.  If the building is 100% renovation, the baseline could be established using a blower door test on the original building, or you could come up with another reasonable, established baseline.

--
Karen