[Bldg-sim] Tools for designers

Raoni Venâncio dos Santos Lima raoniv at ig.com.br
Wed Mar 18 14:06:37 PDT 2009

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions!

The idea is to support the design process by using multiple tools for
different purposes. For instance, I believe that ECOTECT is probably
the best tool for sun path and shading design. However, I am also
aware of the limitations of this software regarding thermal
calculations. So, in order to take more accurate results, I use
another tool for these calculations (Normally I would use
DesignBuilder for thermal-energy analysis and ECOTECT for solar
simulations). The same logic works for several purposes, like climate
analysis, CFD calculations, etc.

My research not only intends to apply multiple simulation tools in
design but it assumes that there is a better way of using these tools
in a design process. I believe that simplifying models considering
aspects like the information available at the moment, the specific
decisions that you want to support and the reservoir of design
precedents concerning these specific decisions would lead to a more
“designerly” way of simulating.

Best regards,
Raoni