[Bldg-sim] SunTools Plugin for SketchUp available

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Thu Mar 26 17:44:50 PDT 2009

Actually Mark, I think the tool shows quite a bit of promise.  The
readme clearly states that several features are works in progress or
yet to be implemented, but some of the stuff in there is already
useful, and definitely not part of the "internal SketchUp tools". The
sun path visualizations are nice, and the views from the sun
perspective are also useful.  From a shading study perspective, these
tools are useful right now. I guess it all depends on what you call
"analysis".  No, the tools do not calculate energy savings from
shading devices, but they do illustrate very well the issues around a
particular fenestration.  You can clearly see the range of time where
direct sun is a problem, and the best part is, with this presentation
a client can see the issues too. Our internal tools where I work are
faster to use, but aren't all that great at illustrating the issues to
the client. I think this presentation is very clear (and is also the
way Ecotect presents this info).

Guedi, a couple of comments: can you provide the plugin as a set of
files instead of a windows installer, so I can install the plugin on a
Mac too?  Also, it'd be nice if the sun objects are placed on a
separate pre-defined layer instead of the current layer, just for
organizational purposes.

- Rob Guglielmetti