[Bldg-sim] Modeling Solar Collectors - Energy Plus

Alan Jackson Alan.Jackson at BuroHappold.com
Mon May 4 14:57:07 PDT 2009

John

Have you had a look at the example files? Try

SolarCollectorFlatPlateWater.idf

See if that helps you at all or look at the other in the
ExampleFiles.xls spreadsheet.

Also, there is another mailing list/forum dedicated to Energyplus
through Yahoo Groups.

Alan Jackson, LEED(r) A.P.
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Buro Happold Consulting Engineers, PC
-----Original Message-----
From: bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org
[mailto:bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org] On Behalf Of JRR
Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2009 9:58 PM
To: Building Simulation
Subject: [Bldg-sim] Modeling Solar Collectors - Energy Plus

Hi;

I'm working up a solar DHW system for a high rise apartment building
with roughly 550 units.
The collectors have to be on the roof, and the mechanical room is on the

roof.
This limits the weight of tankage , etc., so I'm trying an "on the fly"

design where the solar
tempers the service entrance water and the building riser return as
available.

The trick to providing the maximum amount of heat is to figure out how
much heat
has to be stored mid-day in Summer without boiling the service tank.  A
first pass at
sizing the components and adjusting the layout can be done using one day

from each
month and a spreadsheet.

A detailed design for the "On the Fly" tempering seems to call for a
full 8760 hourly simulation.
Has anyone out there used Energy Plus to model solar collectors as if
they were a structure??
It shouldn't be too hard, I just need to trick E+ a few places.
Any comments // ideas ??
thanks.

John R Ross III  PE
Westwind Corporation