[Bldg-sim] U-Value Software

Matutinovic, Luka LMatutinovic at halsall.com
Thu May 28 15:03:35 PDT 2009

Robby,

EE4 comes with a fairly good modelling guide which lists framing
percentages for typical assemblies based on stud spacing.  I really
don't see a problem with EE4's use of RSI values considering the
conversion is a simple calculation.  If you really want to calculate IP
for each assembly layer, it's an extra 30 seconds to convert each
layer's RSI value to IP manually.

I routinely use EE4 for assemblies, and another program for the full
energy simulation.  I may be a biased Canuck, but I think it meets all
of your needs, with minimal manual input.  Most software tools out there
have their pros and cons and you never really get all that you want, but
maybe a silver bullet does exist.

Luka Matutinovic, B.A.Sc., LEED(r) AP
Green Building Consultant

T. 416.487.5257 ext. 317