[Bldg-sim] Why should roofs have high emissivity?

D. Charlie Curcija curcija at designbuildersoftware.com
Mon Nov 30 05:35:58 PST 2009

Whoa, just a moment!  This discussion is starting to deteriorate into half
truths and inaccuracies.  First of all, most common (and inexpensive) paints
satisfy criteria of having high solar reflectance and high thermal
emissivity.  Ordinary white paint meets this criteria and for that reason is
very applicable for cool roofs.  The key here is that there are two major
bands of radiation, Solar (encompassing roughly UV, visible and near
infra-red wavelengths - from around 0.38 microns to 2.5 microns) and far
infra-red (also known as thermal) band (from about 2.5 microns to 50
microns).  Sun, with "surface" temperature of around 9300 F emits radiation
in, well Solar band, hence the name of the band.  Absorbed radiation in a
roof surface emits radiation energy in thermal band, because its temperature
is 100-200 F, which is much less than 9300 F.  Thus, surface properties need
to be evaluated at these two major bands.

Kirchoff's Law states that emissivity and absortivity of a surface is same
at the same wavelength, so if we slightly extrapolate this principle to the
entire band (not quite true but good enough for understanding the problem),
than one can say emissivity and absorptivity at solar band are equal and
emissivity and absorptivity at thermal band are equal.  While color of
paints affects solar absorptivity (thus white paint is reflective while
black paint is absorptive), all of these colors have same or nearly the same
emissivity at the thermal band (0.9).  This gives simple and inexpensive
solution to cool roof problem.  Paint the roof with white paint or other
light color, keep it relatively clean (because dirt will increase solar
absorptivity of the surface) and you got the cool roof.

Observation from several posters that high emissivity of the surface helps
in cooling climates is correct, meaning that high thermal emissivity of the
roof surface will help dissipate absorbed solar energy, since the
temperature to which roof is radiating in thermal band (sky, surrounding
objects) is quite a bit lower than the roof temperature.

Charlie Curcija
DesignBuilder Software