[Bldg-sim] EPAct advice

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Nov 10 11:33:50 PST 2009

" I may be crazy enough to take on Batman, but the IRS? No thank you!"

                ~The Joker

My humble advice to anyone pursuing EPAcT tax deductions, to avoid potential for tax problems for yourself and/or your clients:

1)      Acquire, become familiar with, and keep at-hand in a searchable format the following free and publicly available legislation/documents:

·         Section 179D of Tax Code

·         IRS Notice 2008-40

·         IRS Notice 2006-52

·         EPAct 2005

2)      More recommended reading, referenced from the above legislation:

·         NEMA - EPACT Tax Incentive Certification Letter Guidance

·         NREL - Energy Savings Modeling and Inspection Guidelines

3)      Any licensed professional signing off on EPAcT compliance certification documents should be aware that they are in effect tying themselves to the tax documents of another.  As with anything, read and know what you are signing!

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

25501 west valley parkway