[Bldg-sim] Why should roofs have high emissivity?

David Bryan dbryan at amerindian.com
Mon Nov 30 08:00:59 PST 2009

Brad -

Good discussion. To answer your last question:
Yes, a material that is a good reflector at a given wavelength will be a
poor emitter at that wavelength. But the wavelength, or band of
wavelengths, that a material emits at is inversely proportional to its
temperature.  So if a material is a good reflector of solar radiation,
i.e. visible light and near infrared, it will not need to emit radiation
at these frequencies to stay cool because roofs do not get as hot as the
sun. It will want to emit at a longer wavelengths, at which it may have
a higher emissivity (and be a poor reflector).

As per Charlie Curjica's comments, white paint is a good candidate
because it reflects most of the visible radiation and has a high
emittance at roof temperatures.  It would be a better cool roof material
if it also reflected the solar near infrared - most of which it absorbs.
The attached link is to an interesting study of the properties of roof
materials. Essentially it says that for the materials tested, none was
found that had a high reflectivity to both solar near infrared and
visible energy, and if you have to choose, it's more important to
reflect the visible spectrum than the near infrared.

http://www.azcoolroof.com/downloads/Resources/Article%20Laboratory%20Testing%20of%20the%20Reflectance%20Roofing%20Materi.pdf

Dave Bryan
Third Level Design