[Bldg-sim] eQuest/DOE2 instantaneous loads

James Lo ljameslo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 10:03:31 PDT 2009

Hi there,

Just joined the group and I am glad there are people out there as
curious about building simulations.

That said, I have a questions regarding getting instantaneous loads
from DOE2 using eQuest. Here in the University of Texas we are
currently trying to do a parametric study on effects of varying
temperature set-point and occupancy. Pretty much we are changing the
occupancy schedules and set points in the HVAC setup and see what
happens (for a specific test building).

While we are getting decent HVAC electricity consumption outputs
(which somewhat fit our expectations), we were not able to get the
simulated instantaneous loads for a zone... Say if I have a cooling
zone with the set point changed from 75F to 80F, the increased indoor
temperature should decrease the conduction load and ultimately reduce
the energy used for cooling.

We are seeing the energy reduction, but all the "loads" stay the same
no matter which parameters we are looking at in the report.

I believe I read it somewhere that all the "loads" in DOE2 are design
loads for a specific building material/weather then they modified for
the load for set points and occupancy, that's why when there is no
material changes, the loads stay the same, is that true?

The bottom line is we will need to somehow figure out how much the
external load reduction is when we adjust set point and occupancy.

Thanks for the help!

- James

L. James Lo, Doctoral Candidate
Center for Energy & Environmental Resources
University of Texas at Austin
10100 Burnet Rd. Bldg. 133 Rm 1.302C
Austin, TX 78758
Phone: (512) 699-9480