[Bldg-sim] ratchet demand is higher than overall demand?

Ryan Del Balso Ryan at ambient-e.com
Thu Oct 15 13:37:38 PDT 2009

I have a building that I have included an electrical peak demand ratchet
to give my peak demand during the hours of 3-6pm for June, July and
August.  This seems to work and I get a peak demand for each month as
149.3, 144.2 and 143.7 kW.  When I look at the simulation outputs and
the electrical demand charts these give me an overall peak demand of
87.6, 86.6 and 93.1 kW respectively.  How can my ratchet be giving
higher numbers than my overall peak electric demand?

Has anyone noticed this issue before?

Thanks

Ryan Del Balso

Building Performance Engineer