[Bldg-sim] Estimating VAV savings

Adam Gonthier agonthier at Horizon-Engineering.com
Tue Oct 20 08:57:46 PDT 2009

Hi all

I am attempting to estimate the cost savings which result from upgrading
an air distribution system from constant air volume to variable air
volume by the addition of VAV boxes.  We have already done a BIN
analysis for estimating the savings resulting from the addition of
outside air economizers, and I have had some difficulty in figuring out
how to modify this analysis to incorporate the VAVs.

I assume that I can do this by figuring out how to adjust the supply
flow for each temperature bin, but I am not sure how to do this
appropriately.

Can anyone please help me on this, or direct me to a resource that I may
have overlooked while doing my research?

Thank you all very much

Adam A. Gonthier

Field Engineer

Horizon Engineering Associates, LLP