[Bldg-sim] Earth tubes/tunnels/channels for building retrofit

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Thu Oct 22 05:07:08 PDT 2009

I am performing mechanical design and energy modeling for an existing
dormitory renovation in upstate NY. There is a concrete crawlspace with
ground contact that I think could be used to preheat/precool makeup air.
I have checked the Bldg-sim archives but have not found any design
guides or recommendations for using existing crawlspaces/basements as
earth tubes. We'd be cutting through concrete structural walls to build
something so I need to do some homework to justify it. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bill

William Bishop, EIT, LEED(r) AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects LLP
Mechanical Engineer

134 South Fitzhugh Street
Rochester, NY 14608
T: (585) 325-6004 Ext. 114