[Bldg-sim] area allocation :: Design Builder

deepa chandrashekaran creations.deepa at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 1 21:05:38 PDT 2009

Hello,

I modeled a building according to the dimensions from the CAD drawings.
There are some cut outs in the ceilings that connect two zones from ground
floor to the roof. When I exported the data to excel, the total area of the
building is much larger than the actual area of the building. The perimeter
dimensions are good, but the internal zones seem to have a large area. Could
you please explain how is the area calculated for connected zones ?

Please find attached a screen shot of the same model in question.   The
ceiling of Ground floor has 3 sub –elements. I don’t understand how two
ceiling elements and how all 3 elements have a separate area allocation.

 Would highly appreciate your comments on the same.

Thank you,

Deepa Chandrashekaran