[Bldg-sim] Greenspace Live alpha 2 software release (including SketchUp plugin)

Donald I Macdonald donald_i at sealgar.co.uk
Fri Sep 4 03:36:50 PDT 2009

Greenspace, developers of the Demeter SketchUp plugin and the LiveEPC
SBEM front-end, are making available a new, integrated, suite of
energy analysis tools as a free (time-limited) alpha release.

The Greenspace Live suite is made up of 4 tools:

The latest version of the Demeter SketchUp plugin, now called
LiveEnergy Modeller. This enables buildings created in SketchUp to be
intelligently zoned and exported in gbXML format. It also enables
gbXML files created in other applications to be imported into
SketchUp. (If any members of this mailing list have seen the email
posted on the 2nd of September by Nick Caton then look out for a
direct reply to him by one of my colleagues which gives more
information on how this alpha2 release of the plugin differs from the
earlier 'Demeter' one.)

The latest version of LiveEPC, now called LiveEnergy EPC. This is a
front-end to the SBEM energy simulation program (extensively used in
the UK) and can produce (non-DSM) energy analysis as well as checking
UK building regulations and producing an Energy Performance
Certificate. LiveEnergy EPC is not a modeller -- it imports gbXML from
LiveEnergy Modeller (or any other gbXML source). Whilst it is a
desktop application, the energy analysis actually takes place on a
server (which is where all files reside also). This means your files
and reports are visible anywhere in the world where there is internet
access.

To better leverage this web-based approach, we've created a powerful
browser-based viewing application called LiveEnergy Dashboard which
incorporates sophisticated graphing tools.

Finally, we'd like to introduce LiveEnergy Workspace, a web-based
project management framework and filestore that lets you make the most
of the collaboration the web is supposed to make easy.

We would like to make clear that we consider the suite as a whole to
be at an "alpha" level of readiness (although some parts of it are
more mature than others). Which means that, whilst we have made every
effort to make sure it will work correctly, you should not use it in a
production environment.

The entire suite (and supporting website) is available to use free-of-
charge for the lifetime of this alpha release, which is until the 31st
of October 2009.

If you are interested then please visit www.greenspacelive.com for
more information (including some video tutorials) and a chance to sign
up for the software tools.

Regards,

Donald I. Macdonald

Consultant Programmer