[Bldg-sim] change both U-EFF & UF/UWMat?&In-Reply-To=<88DC4C3C646DD5119B0D0002A537FD6815B50D1E at madison.corp.epstein-isi.com>

Eric Shadd EShadd at archenergy.com
Thu Sep 17 16:46:24 PDT 2009

Thanks Jeremy, but I think my question is different than how you may have interpreted it.  I'm wondering why does the article
 recommend changing both the U-EFFECTIVE and the ficticious material.

The article says in one place that the heat transfer, Q = [U-EFFECTIVE]*A(Tg - Ti).  Then, it later says, as you quoted, "The
fictitious insulating layer is required to give the correct effective resistance for the construction..."

So which is it???  Is there some sort of heat balance that needs to happen with the two? Does the ficticious layer somehow
 influence the weighting factors even though it has no mass???

-Eric