[Bldg-sim] Where should you choose your wall location forsimulations, inside, outside or center of wall

Chip Barnaby cbarnaby at wrightsoft.com
Fri Sep 11 10:37:10 PDT 2009

All,

I generally agree with Nick's approach.  I said the same thing in the
ASHRAE HOF Residential Loads chapter (which I revised in 2005).  For
residences, this scheme reconciles with US practice for determining
floor area (a nominal 1000 ft2 house is 1000 ft2 only if you include
the exterior wall thickness) -- that makes it easy to check input.

Volume is overstated, as noted, but generally only minimally.  I've
also seen procedures for doing blower door leakage tests that
recommend estimating volume from outside dimensions.

All in all, then, the outside dimension method is simple to apply
consistently, easy to check, and accurate enough.

On the other hand, it does NOT agree with other standards and
procedures that are in use.  There is an ASTM standard that defines
floor area (I think) and uses inside dimensions.  Also, I think
rentable space is sometimes measured from the window inside surface
(which I guess is the real estate version of split the difference?).

As automated data exchange procedures become more ubiquitous,
definitions like this will have to be rigorously standardized so
building model fidelity can be retained as data is passed among
applications.  There is an ASHRAE project getting underway related to
consistent extraction of a thermal model from a BIM.  That is a step.

Chip Barnaby