[Bldg-sim] eQuest: changing inside film resistance on schedule?

Joe Huang joe at drawbdl.com
Thu Sep 3 16:16:28 PDT 2009

Brent,

This was something I looked at about 15 years ago in a LBNL project for
the California Institute for Energy Efficiency to design a
compressorless house for California transition climates, using the
DOE-2.1E program. There was a paper that I wrote with Fred Winkelmann
called "the Story of h", that I believe got turned into an LBNL report,
circa 1993. Since eQUEST uses the same modeling as DOE-2.1E,
what I found should also apply.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to vary the inside air film coefficient
in DOE-2, since it is used in calculating the response factor of each
layer, and ultimately in the weighting factor of each space. Making the
response factora changeable during a simulation would require major
mathematical surgery of the room model used in DOE-2 and possibly
invalidate the whole weighting factor approach.

What I did do, which was not very satisfactory, was to do multiple runs
varying the h (inside air film coefficient) in order to bound the
effect. I based the value of h depending on the air flow rate on work
done by Jeff Spitler at Oklahoma State University on an ASHRAE project,
but I don't recall the exact values.  I do recall that beyond a certain
amount of air changes, ~ 20 ?, there was little change in h.

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies
346 Rheem Blvd, Suite 108D
(925)388-0265