[Bldg-sim] SEER / EER / EIR Ratings

Andrew Craig AndrewC at InterfaceEng.Com
Fri Sep 4 14:45:01 PDT 2009

I looked this up just recently...this is what I found from an old post:

Bryce,

The CEC method is required for compliance purposes, but many use simpler
methods such as converting the SEER to EER by using a multiplier (0.85  to
0.95 are often used) and then converting the EER (95/67) to EIR using a
straight unit conversion.  RESNET which is the body that I've worked with on
software verification methods for nationwide HERS ratings for houses uses
the following equation:

Cooling EIR = 0.941 * (1/(SEER/3.413))

This was developed as a simplification to more complex methods and is based
on a regression analysis of numerous systems.  As I'm sure you're aware, the
conversion of SEER to EER is not exact and depends on the means by which the
manufacturer acheived the SEER.

There are then various assumptions about the part load performance of the
units, but that is another topic.

Good luck,

Pat

Pat Bailey, P.E.
Principal
GeoPraxis, Inc
205 Keller Street
Petaluma, CA 94952

Andrew Craig, EIT,LEED AP/ Mechanical Designer/ Energy Analyst
INTERFACE ENGINEERING
direct 503.382.2696
 Please consider the environmental impact before printing this email.