[Bldg-sim] eQUEST Chiller COP

Chang Siew Yik chang.siewyik at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 03:27:11 PDT 2010

Hi,

I tried to use eQUEST to generate simulation for different chiller system
and collect data about the overall efficiency of the chiller units.

For this simulation i used 2 units of 450 tons chiller set at COP of 6.

I then refer to the report PS-C, to compute the overall COP (Using cooling
load / electricity used)

Something im not sure about is when i get the detailed report, for some
cases like reciprocating hermetic chiller, centrifugal hermetic variable
speed chiller and centrifugal open variable speed chiller, i get an overall
COP of 6.1- 6.3 which are higher than the set COP of 6.

Im wondering if my way of calculating overall COP makes any sense and how
can i explain the situation where the actual performance are higher than the
pre-set COP.

Any comments or advise on this?

SY