[Bldg-sim] Fwd: [Bldg-rate] LEED+90.1 Process/Plug Loads Conundrum

Carol Gardner cmg750 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 15:12:27 PDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carol Gardner <cmg750 at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 2:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Bldg-rate] LEED+90.1 Process/Plug Loads Conundrum
To: James Hess <JHess at tmecorp.com>, Nick Caton <ncaton at smithboucher.com>,
Karen Walkerman <kwalkerman at gmail.com>
Cc: "bldg-rate at lists.onebuilding.org" <bldg-rate at lists.onebuilding.org>

Hi Nick,

I'm glad you raised this issue.

First, I agree with James, and have heard from other people, that LEED
accepts documentation saying something as basic as "hey, I don't have 25%
plug loads".

Second, when you have to create a baseline to measure up from, you are
forced to say what that baseline is. For instance, in 1985-86, working on
the BPA-funded Energy Edge project, we had to figure out the baseline for a
group of buildings being designed to exceed the current energy codes by 30%.
We didn't have a baseline then. To deal with this we assembled a group of
people that we euphemistically called The Greybeards (so sorry to you all).
The tables now known as G3.1.1A & G3.1.1B in Standard 90 came out of what we
created in that moment of time. We were trying to limit what is called
"gaming the system"

So now it seems it has been deemed important to control the baseline a
little more: by specifying plug loads at 25%. The goal of trying to limit
gaming the system might be the source of the 25%. The danger which Nick has
clearly demonstrated in his email is that what is meant to control gaming
the system, may now actually be creating it.

Further thoughts/comments welcome,

Carol