[Bldg-sim] Natural Gas generation of electricity as it relates to EAc1

James Hansen JHANSEN at ghtltd.com
Wed Apr 21 11:37:29 PDT 2010

A few people asked for me to post what I found on this issue, and here
it is.  Still not 100%, but it *looks* like you can't take credit for
gas-fired fuel cells in EAc1.  As much as they may help with emissions,
electrical power infrastructure, and reduction of time-of-use utility
charges, I think the best you can do is apply for an ID credit (which is
a shame).

Although this CIR is from NC v2.1 (before Appendix G even existed), and
although the two paragraphs of the response sort of contradict each
other, it appears that they do NOT allow peak shaving to be accounted
for in EAc1.  I'm not sure whether to model the fuel cells in both the
baseline and proposed, or completely remove them from both...

(ID credit under LEED-NC v2.1)

5/24/2004 -

Ruling
The use of a generator for peak shaving is a legitimate energy cost
saving and capacity reduction measure. Identical rate schedules must be
used in both the proposed and budget buildings for energy modeling (see
EAc1.5 CIR Ruling dated 3/24/04). Note that using a time-of-use (TOU)
rate will only capture a portion of the potential benefits to the
project and the environment under EAc1, since the budget building must
also use the TOU rate for modeling purposes.

The peak shaving use of the generator does not count under EAc1. Since
the use of a generator to shave peak demand is not a regulated component
of ASHRAE 90.1, any savings/environmental benefits could qualify as an
innovation credit. Be sure to quantify the benefits. Claims of emission
reductions need to be based on comparison to a reasonable baseline in
your region. Claims made on dollar savings alone should be equal to at
least 5% of the total building energy use (see previous IDc1.1 CIR
Rulings dated 4/17/03 and 8/16/02).

Would love to be proved wrong!

GHT Limited
James Hansen, PE, LEED AP