[Bldg-sim] Not a simulation question, but need help looking for vendor/ productdeveloper for piezoelectric application / floor tiles.

Eurek, John S NWO John.S.Eurek at usace.army.mil
Mon Apr 12 07:09:15 PDT 2010

I once thought of opening a gym where each piece of equipment generated
electricity. (Bikes, stair masters, bench press).

I started by calculating the best case, the stationary bike.

Long story short.  People are weak.  You save far more energy by turning off
the light.

>From a web-site "http://blog.mapawatt.com/2009/07/19/bicycle-power-watts/"
"The current record holder for the Hour Record is Ondrej Sosenka and the
website BikeCult.com has an estimate of his average wattage during his Hour
Record at 430 Watts!  If Ondrej's bike were attached to a bicycle generator
and it was super efficient, Ondrej would have been generating enough power to
light up 7 60-Watt light bulbs!  Since I pay about 10 cents/kWh, if  I were
to pay Ondrej for the energy he produced over the hour he was pedaling he
would have almost  earned a whole nickel (430 Watts * 1 hour = 430 Watt-hours
= .43 kWh)!"

I don't see any way a dance floor could produce enough energy to power the a
couple of 1000 Watt speakers.

If it is feasible please send the information (as an engineer I'd like to see
the numbers.)

In building simulation, I would account for the heat a person produces, but
not the electricity.

John Eurek