[Bldg-sim] DesignBuilder x IES-VE

Raoni Venâncio dos Santos Lima raoniv at ig.com.br
Mon Aug 9 13:44:13 PDT 2010

Dear Paul,

I appreciate your input. The purpose of my framework is to provide support
to the solution of design dilemmas that arise along the design process. The
focus, therefore, should be on which design information is
relevant/available to solve specific design dilemmas and how simulation
models can be simplified to make assessments faster and easier (the idea is
to make designers to do these assessments). Such method should also
stimulate the use of qualitative knowledge such as precedents solutions or
design guidelines and it is supposed to be very different from methods
commonly used by consultants.

With the definition of a 'designerly' simulation framework for each design
decision, we are assuming that different tools can be used in a similar
way (despite the differences between them), and that is why the scope of
tools will be limited to one or two tools in each category considered
(climate analysis, sun path, energy/thermal and CFD tools). It is not much
about the tools, but in finding ways to use these tools that are more
appropriate to fit in the designers way of thinking.

Best regards,
Raoni