[Bldg-sim] Solar Thermal for In Floor Radiant Heating

Carol Gardner cmg750 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 08:28:34 PDT 2010

System type FPH meets your needs.

SYSTEM Type = FPH

<coveredindetailbyseparatetopics21.htm>
<inputtemplateforastandardfphunit.htm>
 SYSTEM Type = FPH

Floor Panel Heating System

The Floor Panel Heating System provides heating for one or more zones by
circulation of heated fluid through a network of pipes embedded in the floor
or ceiling. A single pump, rather than the primary-secondary pumping
arrangement shown in the schematic, is installed for single-zone systems.
Space temperature in each zone is controlled by varying the temperature of
the fluid circulating in that zone. Hourly head addition rate is determined
for this system exactly as for other types of systems. Pumping energy
associated with this system is accounted for by the PUMP attached to the
CIRCULATION-LOOP. The ratio of panel heat losses to panel heating output
must be estimated by you and entered; see the keyword PANEL-HEAT-LOSS in the
ZONE command). The program assumes that this ratio of heat loss to
heatoutput remains constant over the full range of panel output.

Figure 59  Floor panel heating system

Other names and/or applications for FPH

None. Note that the simulation does not account for the radiant comfort
aspects of panel heating; therefore, a lower heating setpoint is
appropriate.
------------------------------

Subtopic help for this Topic:

Input template for a standard FPH unit <javascript:RT_2887.HHClick()>

Covered in detail by separate Topics are the
following:<javascript:RT_6089.HHClick()>
 <javascript:RT_6089.HHClick()> <javascript:RT_6089.HHClick()>

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 8:14 AM, Maudud Quazi <tauhid80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a project that uses solar thermal tubes to heat up water, which is
> used for radiant floor heating.  During the peak hours, solar thermal is
> boosted by a boiler.  Can anyone please expalin how I can model that?  If it
> can be modelled, how do I control the loop in a way that the boilers kick in
> only when solar thermal cannot keep up?  Thanks everyone.
>
> Hassan Qauzi

Carol Gardner PE