[Bldg-sim] FW: new DES document is now posted

Paul Erickson perickson at aeieng.com
Tue Aug 24 12:35:26 PDT 2010

Chris/Others,

I'm wondering if you've understood the new document as I have for CHP.  If you have CHP and are pursuing Performance Path Option 2, you actually still have to model the Proposed building twice, once with utilities that you're purchasing from the CHP plant to determine the HW and/or CHW fractions related to "CHP Electric Output" and the other as having virtual chillers/boilers.  What had seemed more straightforward on the surface isn't quite so once you dig in.

In general I'm curious how others have perceived the document.  The flexibility to consider annualized performance is great, especially for straightforward boiler/chiller DES, but it seems like many clients (mainly universities) will still not be able to provide the required level of data resolution needed to document CHP performance.  Perhaps this will be a new impetus for performance monitoring.

Regards,
Paul

PAUL ERICKSON  LEED® AP
SR. SUSTAINABLE DESIGN CONSULTANT

AEI | AFFILIATED ENGINEERS, INC.
5802 Research Park Blvd. | Madison, WI  53719

P: 608.236.1112 | F: 608.238.2614
perickson at aeieng.com  |  www.aeieng.com