[Bldg-sim] Winter and Summer U-values for glass

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Aug 25 07:19:46 PDT 2010

Hi there,

I'm going to assume you're using eQuest and are trying to specify window
properties within.

If you are using eQuest and trying to specify your window using the
'Simplified' method by inputting your winter or summer U-value for glass
conductance... sorry, you're doing it wrong =).  You really should read
the help file titled GLASS-CONDUCTANCE, and reference the table therein.
Neither summer nor winter U-values go in that field.  It would probably
be a good idea to review the help files specific to the other inputs
there as well.

The following discussion may help illuminate the topic as well (I'd
suggest the help file first):
http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/bldg-sim-onebuilding.org/2005-Oct
ober/013126.html

There are 3 ways to specify windows:  'simplified,' selecting a
best-match entry in the DOE2 library, and importing data from LBNL's
WINDOW4/5

Creating your glazing assemblies in WINDOW5 seems the hip thing to do if
you really want to lock your glazing performance down.  There's been
discussion here on the lists that the simplified method does not
correctly model glazing performance when the sun is at an angle other
than perpendicular to the plane (where the other two methods account for
this) - the results can purportedly be significantly different,
depending on your climate/building geometries.  I personally find
utilizing the DOE2 glass library to be the easiest method, when that's
appropriate.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER