[Bldg-sim] IES-VE Evaluation

Tim Johnson timj at ctagroup.com
Mon Dec 13 08:40:51 PST 2010

I am an eQuest user and am looking into IES-VE as an eventual
replacement.  I am curious if anyone has been through a comparison like
this before and would be willing to share their opinions.  I know there
has been some discussion about this in the past, but it looks like most
of the discussions are a few years old.  I want to make sure I am not
discounting IES-VE for problems that have been fixed.

The draw of IES-VE is the compatibility with revit and its ability to
do more than just energy or daylighting.  It seems like having all of
the analysis tools in one program would be very useful.

>From reading through the archives, the drawbacks of this program are
the cost and that IES doesn't allow the user as much flexibility as
eQuest of Energy Plus.  Can IES-VE generate the hourly reports that
eQuest and Energy Plus can?

Please let me know what your thoughts are on these programs.  I also
hear rumors of AutoDesk jumping into the mix with Project Vasari and
Labs.  Does anyone know more about this?

Thanks,
Tim

Tim JohnsonCTA : EIT, LEED AP  DIRECT: 208.577.5645 CTA, Inc. |
www.ctagroup.com1185 W. Grove St. – Boise, ID 83702P: 208.336.4900 – F:
208.343.3531